12 Things You Need to Know about Girls on the Run
Essential GOTR Info
1. Assume you are registered for the team you selected online unless you are notified differently.
2. Meeting spots for GOTR teams will be posted on the www.gotr.org website and you will be notified via email prior to the first day.
3. Rainy/Blustery Weather — GOTR teams will meet regardless of the weather, UNLESS the schools close.
4. No GOTR meetings when school is out of session for any reason or on early-release days** (**Girls on Track at Lone Star will meet on Wednesdays at the normal time, despite the early release day.)
5. If your daughter cannot attend a GOTR meeting for any reason, please let your coach know so she doesn’t wonder and worry where your daughter is.
6. Be considerate of our volunteer coaches’ time and pick up your daughter PROMPTLY after the conclusion of the GOTR meeting. Girls may be removed from the program if parents are habitually late for post-GOTR pick-up.
What to Wear and Bring to GOTR
1. Athletic shoes and socks. Girls who don’t have shoes appropriate for exercise will not be allowed to do the activity portion of the lesson.
2. Clothes appropriate for running and playing. Shorts and T-shirts usually work best in warm weather. If it’s cool, wear layers.
3. Full water bottle with GOTR girl’s name on it.
4. A Positive Attitude. Everyone is valued for who they are at Girls on the Run and everyone’s participation is important.
5. Running journal (optional). Your daughter might want to keep a notebook/running journal in her backpack to record each day’s progress.
6. Healthy after-school snack. Girls on the Run does provide a small snack for girls, however often times it is not enough. GOTR girls are hungry after school. For some, it has been five hours since lunch. Girls will participate and concentrate better if they have fuel in their tank. If your daughter requires more, or has dietary restrictions, please send her with a snack. Ideas include: string cheese, pretzels, apples, oranges, hard-boiled eggs, peanut butter on crackers, low-fat/reduced-sugar granola bars.
Stayed Tuned: Next Week’s Topic: The Importance of Talking to Your Daughter
Know someone who likes to run? Have them become a GOTR SoleMate: https://gotrboise.wordpress.com/solemates/
Know someone who likes to play golf? Have them pick Girls on the Run as their charity at the Albertson’s Boise Open: http://www.albertsonsboiseopen.com/