Why Should I Volunteer?
Let’s face it. You’re a busy girl. I am too, but yet I make time every week to volunteer. Why? Because it’s important to me. I like helping others. It makes me feel good about myself and makes me feel like I’ve made a contribution to my community. Besides, if there were no volunteers to coach you, Girls on Run wouldn’t exist. And that would be a shame.
You see, it takes people who are passionate about making a difference to make the world go round. When people donate time, energy, food, and their resources to help others it helps all of us get more accomplished.
Here are some other great reasons to volunteer. Volunteering lets you:
- Make new friends
- Gain important skills and experience that will help you later in life
- Make connections that can lead to a job or career
- See more of your community and world
- Build confidence and self-esteem
- Explore what you want to do with your life
- Feel that you are needed and important
- Feel satisfied because you got things done and helped others
- Meet new people who could be role models
- Use your mind, body, and creativity
- Get active and healthier
- Relieve stress
- Fight boredom
- Spend time doing what you really care about
- Feel like you’re part of a community
- Have fun! Just like Girls on the Run!
For more information about volunteering and ideas for things you can to do make a difference, go to:
Stayed tuned for next week’s topic: Girls on the Run is over for the season. Now what?