5 Tips for Making Your New Year’s Resolutions Stick
Every year, like most people, I make my New Year’s Resolutions on January 1st. And then I battle with them for the rest of the year. So this year, I tried something different.
I spent the last weekend in December working through Leonie Dawson’s Life and Business Planners for 2013 http://leoniedawson.com/shop/kits/incredible-year-workbook-calendar/, and Laura Vanderkam’s 168 Hours http://lauravanderkam.com/books/168-hours/, I realized something. Two things actually.
1) There are only so many hours in the day. If you’re going to add something to your already busy schedule, you’re going to have to give something up. Or re-prioritize. Something’s got to give if you are going to have time to work on these resolutions.
2) New Year’s Resolution’s won’t stick if they really aren’t a priority for you. So the question becomes: Do you really want to do this? When I say “you,” I mean YOU. You’re not doing this for your significant other or for your child, but for you. If you don’t want it for you, you might as well quit while you’re ahead.
So where does that leave us? Here are 5 tips for making your New Year’s Resolutions stick:
1) Figure out when you’re going to work on them. You may have to rearrange your schedule or let something go to carve some time out for yourself.
2) Make sure you really want to change. It’s okay if you don’t. You’re perfectly fine just the way you are.
3) Figure out what kind of support you need. Do you need your spouse to be on board? To take a cooking class? To join a gym?
4) Keep it simple! As they say, Rome wasn’t built in a day. It may even help to think in terms of baby steps. So you want to lose 50 pounds this year. Why not focus on losing 3-4 pounds in January first? That’s a much more doable, less scary goal.
5) Put up reminders – this is something I learned in my weekend reading. I now have little reminders sticky noted up on my office walls to remember to do my resolutions. It’s hard to miss when it’s staring you in the face.
Need more advice for helping make your resolutions stick? Check this blog out: http://www.positivelypositive.com/2012/12/31/new-years-tips-that-may-cause-miracles/
Stayed tuned for our guest blog in a couple of weeks!
Watch your inbox for an important announcement in early February for a great new way you can help GOTR!