Hey SoleMates! We are so excited that are Spring season is almost at an end. Most of you have already run your events this season, but we have a few brave SoleMates who scheduled June races. So this one’s for you!
Tips for Running in Hot Weather:
1) Run in the early morning or later in the evening to avoid the hottest part of the day.
2) Meet Cool Gear from UnderArmor or similar hot-weather running gear.
3) Drink up! Drink at least 8 oz. of water every one to two hours on your run.
4) Don’t forget to replenish your electrolytes. You need more than just water when it’s hot out, especially if you are running for over an hour. Invest in electrolyte tablets or electrolyte water or try a mix of half Gatorade and half water.
5) Work into it. Just like when you start running, it can take time for your body to get used to the hot weather. So go a little easy on yourself until you get used to the heat.
6) Make sure it’s not a Red Day – you know how we get those inversions here in the Treasure Valley. If you have allergies, make sure you’re in the Green zone before you head outside. Check the weather forecast each morning and watch for that smog.
7) Run near water or in shade. I love running on the Greenbelt in the summer as it provides both.
8) Take sunscreen. Sunscreen takes 30 min to start working so apply it before you leave the house. Its effects start to wear off about 2 hours into your run. So if you plan to be out longer than that, re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours.
Have a safe, happy running summer!