Eating a healthy diet comprised of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and at least 20-25% fat will help ensure that your hormones are happy. Because we want to stay away from the artificial hormones and saturated fats found in many animal products, one of the best sources of healthy fats are nuts.
Here are just a few of my favorites and some of their health benefits:
- Brazil nuts and hazelnuts – a good source of the mineral selenium, these nuts help balance thyroid function.
- Pistachios and Chestnuts – high in vitamin B6, pistachios help keep hormones balanced
- Walnuts and Pecans – these nuts are high in omega 3s and help lower the bad kind of cholesterol (LDL).
- Almonds – reduce inflammation and block pain
- Peanuts and Macadamia Nuts – these nuts are high in potassium, which can help prevent cramping
- Cashew nuts – high in zinc, phosphorus and magnesium, which are important for energy and strong bones.
So how do you make your own nut butter? Grab a handful of your favorite nuts (or several handfuls, nut butter will keep almost indefinitely in the fridge) and throw them in a food processor. Let the food processor grind them up for about 10 min. Voila! So tasty, so good for you. 🙂