Here at GOTR we are already starting to gear up and plan for Fall – and your GOTR girl just got out of school for the summer. Time to play!
Here are some tips for keeping cool during summer activities:
1) Play outside and be active outdoors in the early morning or later in the evening to avoid the hottest part of the day.
2) Make sure you and your daughter dress appropriately for the weather.
3) Drink up! Drink at least 8 oz. of water every one to two hours you’re outside sweating.
4) Don’t forget to replenish your electrolytes. You need more than just water when it’s hot out, especially if you are active for over an hour. Invest in electrolyte tablets or electrolyte water or try a mix of half Gatorade and half water.
5) Work into it. It can take time for your body to get used to the hot weather. So go a little easy on yourself until you get used to the heat.
6) Make sure it’s not a Red Day – you know how we get those inversions here in the Treasure Valley. If you or your daughter have allergies, make sure you’re in the Green zone before you head outside. Check the weather forecast each morning and watch for that smog.
7) Stay near water or in the shade. I love running and biking on the Greenbelt in the summer as it provides both.
8) Take sunscreen. Sunscreen takes 30 min to start working so apply it before you leave the house. Its effects start to wear off about 2 hours. So if you plan to be out longer than that, re-apply sunscreen every 2 hours.
Have a safe, happy, fun summer!
P.S. Our SoleMates Summer season is still open! Go here for more information: https://gotrboise.wordpress.com/solemates/