Each season Girls on the Run has a dynamic group of coaches that volunteer their time to guide and mentor girls so that they are prepared to become happy, healthy, self-confident adolescents and adults. Coaches need not be runners; they just need to be individuals that want to be a positive influence and who are committed to developing and celebrating our youth.
Online Application for Coaches and Running Buddies will be available soon!
What GOTR expects from every volunteer coach:
- HAVE FUN!!
- Completes and submits required volunteer application prior to service as a volunteer coach
- Prepares, organizes, and delivers bi-weekly lessons, including preparing materials for activities
- Serves as role model and mentor by being on time, having positive outlook, and leading healthy lifestyle.
- Assists Program Director or Area Coordinator in finding substitute coach in case of absence.
- Coaches program participants on proper stretching, basic running form, and hydration
- Encourages girls!
- Attends culminating 5K race with program participants and other volunteers.
- Attends any coaches’ meetings with Program Director or Area Coordinator during season.
- Responds in timely manner to e-mail communication from Program Director or Area Coordinator.
- Interacts with parents of program participants.
- Plans and coordinates end-of-season celebration (keep it simple, delegate to parent volunteers if possible).
- Acts as spokesperson for program and understands/believes in organization mission.
- Be genuine and above all HAVE FUN!
Coach: Can be female or male and at least 21 years old and be CPR certified. If individual is under 21 years old, they can be involved as an Assistant Coach). Each site must have at least one female coach. Coaches are responsible for leading the curriculum at the site each day throughout the season. Typically there are 2-3 coaches at each site. At least two coaches must be present each day the site meets (20 meeting days).
(App 6 hrs/week during season)
*Is the primary contact between GOTR office and site
*Will be at GOTR practice 2 days per week. (Can be one day a week with approval from Program Director)
*Will complete volunteer application or application update prior to season start (required EVERY year)
*Will complete necessary materials for background check (required every TWO years)
*Will attend (or have already attended) GOTR New Coaches Training
*Will be CPR/First Aid Certified (or identify another coach at the same location who is/will be trained)
*Can lead practice/lessons
*Will complete (or have already attended) the Darkness to Light Stewards of Children Child Abuse training prior to season beginning (training can be done through a class or online)
*Will attend Pre-Season Coaches’ Meeting and Mid-Season Coaches’ Meeting (or confirm another coach representative for midseason meeting)
*Will schedule and meet with Coaches at site prior to season IF coaching team did not meet at Pre-Season Coaches’ Meeting
*Will read weekly Coaches’ Corner Email
*Will communicate regularly with coaching team at site to ensure smooth/safe program delivery
*Will be present at end of season 5K (if scheduling conflict happens, must talk to Program Director to confirm majority of other coaches from site will be present)
Junior Coaches: Must be at least 16 years of age and do not facilitate the curriculum.
Site Running Buddy: Site running buddies are present at a site/location to encourage the girls during their warm-up and workout sessions. Running buddies must attend a site in a consistent manner, but are not responsible for facilitating any of the curriculum lessons.
Community 5K Running Buddy: Community 5K running buddies attend the community 5K and encourage the girls while celebrating their accomplishments of completing a 5K. Running buddies are walkers, joggers and runners. The Spring Community 5K is at the beginning of May. The Fall Community 5K is at the end of October.
All Running Buddies must pass a background check.
Fall 2015 season will begin the week of August 31st. Our season will run through the first week of November. Ending date will vary, depending on site.
Scheduled New Coaches Trainings for Spring
Individuals must attend training #1 or training #2 in order to coach.
New Coaches Training #1 (Must attend both parts)
August 13th, 6-8pm, Boise Main Library
August 19th, 6-8pm, Boise Main Library
New Coaches Training #2
TBD, Nampa Rec Center
CPR Certification and renewal for all coaches
Stewards of Children Child Abuse Prevention Training
Email Melissa Bixby at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.